Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I make these with veggie hot dogs! From Southern Living magazine, July 2012.
- 1 (7 ounce) containerplain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cucumber, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, chopped (or use scallions)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- black pepper
- 4 vegetarian sausages, cooked according to package directions (or use meat)
- 4 hot dog buns
- romaine lettuce, shredded
- red onion, thinly sliced
- tomatoes, diced
- cucumber, diced
- greek dressing, bottled
- Stir together yogurt, mayonnaise, cucumber, chives, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook sausages according to directions, or however you like.
- Place sausages in buns. Top with yogurt mixture and lettuce, red onion, tomato, cucumber and Greek dressng.
Made for the Goddesses & ZWT-9 because I?ve loved hot dogs since my childhood & the most popular restaurant in Iceland is a hot dog stand! This recipe is all about the yogurt sauce, an easy-fix that was made as written until I got to the garnish list. As a pers pref, I don?t care for lettuce on hot dogs .. Cucumber was already in the yogurt sauce, so I added a bit extra .. Why use a bottled dressing when the yogurt sauce is the star of the recipe? .. & .. The red onion & tomato were easily added to the yogurt sauce. That said, we no longer needed a garnish list, but we did need some salt & pepper to give the yogurt sauce a flavor boost. We loved these hot dogs, ate them open-face so we could eat 2 of them, ladle on the sauce & east only 1 bun (See Pic). Yum :!: Thx for sharing your recipe w/us.
Yum, these were fantastic! The yogurt sauce was amazing - the hint of lemon was so bright and refreshing. I wrapped mine in a lettuce leaf instead of a bun and topped with red onion, tomato, and cucumber. I look forward to the leftovers! Thanks for sharing! ZWT9
I am with twissis. Everything looked pretty much on target until I got to the list of garnishes. Then inspiration struck. Finely shredded cabbage was used in place of the lettuce and the list of garnishes were chopped, shredded and grated to make a delicious slaw to serve on top which was served with a generous sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper and chives. I have leftover "slaw" and plan on having these again tomorrow. Made for ZWT9.