Recipe by Bay Laurel
This recipe was in the food section of a local paper. True keeper!! The peppers can always be roasted in advance and kept in the refrigerator for any number of uses, which makes putting this together much faster and easier. Whenever possible, always buy brine-packed feta. It is far superior to the brands already crumbled. Keep any unused feta in the brine in a well-sealed container in the coldest part of your refrigerator. prep or cooking time does not include refrigeration.
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and chilled
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped very fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- fresh basil leaf, torn if large
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the two red bell peppers lengthwise into thirds, carefully removing seeds and membranes.
- Place on a baking sheet skin-side up and flatten out with the palm of your hand.
- Brush or drizzle with a bit of olive oil and roast at 500 degrees until skins become charred and slightly wrinkled.
- Upon removing from the oven, immediately place them into a sealed bowl or plastic bag.
- When the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel the skins off with your fingers and discard the skins — don’t rinse the peppers or you’ll rinse away that delicate smoky flavor from the roasting.
- Arrange on a plate and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Combine cheeses, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture into as many portions as you have roasted pepper sections and shape it into a log.
- Mold the pepper over the cheese log and form it into a jalapeno pepper shape, lay it in the center of a salad plate.
- At the thicker end, tuck in a stem of fresh basil.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve.