Recipe by Irmgard
This recipe from the "Company's Coming" series is very easy to make and comes together very quickly. Serve with a cucumber salad and pita bread.
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 5 1⁄2 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the feta, tomatoes and walnuts in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on medium-high.
- Add the ground lamb and onions.
- Stir fry for 5 to 10 minutes until the lamb is no longer pink and the onion is softened.
- Drain off the fat.
- Add the next 8 ingredients and stir well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, to blend the flavours.
- Add the spinach and lemon zest and stir.
- Cover and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Remove to a large serving bowl and sprinkle with the cheese mixture.