Recipe by DeSouter
After tasting a really bland version of this soup made by a friend's dad, I set out to find or make up a tasty version. Here is the result. You won't be disappointed.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated if possible
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 3 quarts chicken broth (2 large cans with any fat spooned off the top)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, melt the butter.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté until tender, but not browned.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Cook just until soft.
- Add the broth, seasonings and barley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the barley is tender.
- The soup can be thinned with additional broth if it becomes too thick.