1/2 Photos of Gravad Laks (Aka Gravad Lax, Gravlax, Grav Lax, Gravlaks)
48 hrs 10 mins
Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
Just had to cover all bases in the title there. ;) Swedish: Gravlax, Norwegian: Gravlaks. Grav means pit/hole/grave + lax/laks means salmon in the respective languages above. Frankly, I don’t eat salmon, but my husband loves this dish. Make sure you flip the package in the fridge every 12 hours to evenly marinate the salmon. The yield here varies wildly depending on how much each person eats and how it’s served (I’ve specified appetizers), so please keep that in mind. “Cook” time is marination.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse the filet under lukewarm water and pat dry. Remove any remaining bones with tweezers, pliers or a small child, then cut salmon in half crosswise.
- 2Place the filet pieces on a large piece of aluminum foil.
- 3Sprinkle the sugar, salt and pepper over 1/2 of the filet, then completely cover that with a thick layer of dill, making sure you only use the thin leaves of the dill and not the stems. Sprinkle the wine on last. Place the other half of salmon on top like a sandwich, skin side out.
- 4Wrap up the foil into a firmly closed packet, place on plate and put another plate on top. Weigh down with something heavy (I used a gallon of milk) on the top plate and put in the fridge for 48 hours, turning the salmon every 12 hours to ensure even marinating.
- 5When the salmon is ready, remove all the dill and set aside, then slice the salmon at a severe angle in the thinnest slices you can manage with an insanely sharp knife, parallel to the skin. The thinner the slice, the better it tastes!
- 6Serve with fresh dill and pepper on buttered fresh toast.
- 7Ok, just kidding about the small child.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gravad Laks (Aka Gravad Lax, Gravlax, Grav Lax, Gravlaks)
Serving Size: 1 (493 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 69.8
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 29.5 mg
- Sodium 910.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 11.3 g