Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a recipe that my boyfriend got at school in 1980 and he's been making it ever since.
Make and share this Grandmother's Famous Cranberry Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups light raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen cranberries, chopped
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg, orange peel and orange juice all at once.
- Stir just until mixture is evenly moist.
- Fold in raisins and cranberries.
- Spoon into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- If you like, you can substitute cranberries for the raisins to have an all cranberry bread.
Have tried many cranberry bread recipes but always come back to this one. Great taste and texture and keeps well. Highly recommended. I don't even bother to cut up the cranberries if they are fresh.
My favourite orange cranberry tea bread!! I have made this several times using all cranberries, I love the sweet bread with the tart cranberries and citrus flavours!
This was great- very moist and flavorful! I made muffins with my recipe, ~18, only needed to bake for a half an hour. Also used whole wheat flour and skipped the raisins - it turned out wonderful.