Cranberry-Orange Quick Bread
This is my husband's very favorite quick bread I make, a great holiday gift, and is my most-requested at parties, especially around the holidays. It originally came from the Betty Crocker Cookbook, but I usually omit the nuts (although I love pecans with the cranberries) and have added a glaze onto it, which really seemed to give it that extra little zing. When I serve it for parties or brunches, I slice it, then cut the slices in half top to bottom; people seem satified with the smaller pieces (though they often go back for more!) and it serves more that way. I always try to keep a bag of cranberries in the freezer for just this recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cranberries, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- enough extra orange juice, to reach drizzling consistency
- Grease/spray bottom only of a 8x4 or 9x5 loaf pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda Add margarine and mix until crumbly.
- Add peel, 3/4 c orange juice, and egg; stir until moistened Add cranberries and nuts.
- Pour batter (it will be thick) into pan and bake until a knife comes clean from the center.
- For a 8" loaf, about 75 min; for a 9" loaf, about 55-65 min at 350F (watch after about 50 min, depending on your oven).
- Loosen sides from pan, remove& cool completely.
- When cool, prepare glaze: combine 1 T orange juice, 1 c sifted powdered sugar, and enough extra OJ to drizzle.
- Drizzle over top of loaf and enjoy!