Recipe by kmact
My grandma used to make these for special occasions. I always asked her to make them for no reason but she said no. My dad said it's because she would always get frustrated with the dough and she hates to swear. I have no such issue and always remember to use lots of flour when rolling out the dough and have lots of wine available. It is so worth it when they are done. Fantastic tart.
- 118.29 ml Crisco shortening
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 44.37 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml cream of tartar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 709.77 ml flour
- 236.59 ml applesauce
- icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Separately, cream crisco and sugar; sift together dry ingredients; beat egg, milk and vanilla.
- Mix all 3 parts together well.
- Flour cutting board and roll dough out thinly.
- Cut out small circles for the tops and large circles for the base.
- Place large circles in muffin tins.
- Add 1 tbs of apple sauce to each tin.
- Add tops, seal with fingers or fork.
- Score the tops with knife or fork.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- While cooling, sprinkle with icing sugar.