Recipe by Anthony Gougoutris
This is the best cucumber salad I have ever had. This is my grandmothers recipe, (she was from Nagyszentmiklos) and this is a perfect companion dish for chicken paprikas, although I could make a meal out of it. This will quickly become your favorite way to eat cucumbers!
Top Review by gale 57
Thank you for posting a genuine Hungarian recipe .This is the way my Grandma Vajda used to make her cucumber salad.So many recipes are being lost forever as the old folks pass away.We must keep them and celebrate our wonderful hereitage.This recipe is excellent and very refreshing during our hot summer months.Thank you again.
- 8 medium cucumbers or 15 kirby cucumbers, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice cucumbers very thinly, preferably using a mandolin.
- Take a colander, put in a small layer of cucumbers, then sprinkle with a small amount of the salt.
- Continue this method until all the salt and cucumbers are used up.
- Cover the cucumbers with a plate inside the colander, and put a very heavy weight on top.
- Make sure the colander is in a large bowl, because the cucumbers will lose alot of water.
- Let them sit for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, chop the dill and finely mince the garlic, put aside.
- After 1 hour, take a handful of cucumbers, and squeeze out as much juice as you can, and continue until they are all done.
- Rinse thoroughly with water, drain well.
- After the cucumbers are done, return to the colander, and weight down one more time for about 15 minutes.
- You do not have to squeeze out the juice again with your hands Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, except the paprika.
- After mixing thoroughly, put in a nice serving dish, and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Nutritional information shows a high amount of sodium, but the vast majority is pressed out by your hands. The main function of the kosher salt is to purge the moisture out of the cucumbers.