Recipe by Holly Harwig
My Grandma Sneltjes made this potato salad all summer long at the cabin. The secret to its goodness is the dressing you make yourself! This is a big enough recipe to feed a crowd!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar, tarragon flavored if possible
- 3 eggs, beaten fluffy
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled, cooked and diced
- 5 green onions
- 1 large onion
- 6 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise, Grandma always used Spin Blend salad dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauce pan stir together sugar, flour, mustard and salt. Mix in water, vinegar and eggs. Cook over low to medium until thick, letting mixture bubble up a couple of times, stirring constantly.
- Pour into a glass jar, seal and refrigerate (this can be done up to a week beforehand).
- Boil potatoes. Let cool (sprinkle a little tarragon vinegar on them while cooling) and cut into 1/2" chunks.
- Thinly slice entire green onions and mix with home dressing with mayonnaise, then mix in diced onion.
- Mix potatoes and diced hard boiled eggs with the dressing.