Recipe by cathyfood
this is an easy one-bowl sponge cake without butter! My mother and my Grandma Kate’s favorite was raspberry jam in this roll, but it’s also good with grape or strawberry. I like homemade blackberry, with the seeds strained out. Just use your favorite. My family always used the cake as the base for fresh strawberry or peach shortcake – it would soak up the fruit juices but not fall apart like pound cake.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- PREPARE PAN: Carefully grease the bottom only of a pan, either jelly roll 11” X 17” X 1”, or if using for shortcake, bake in a 9” X 13”. Line bottom only with parchment if desired; set aside.
- PREPARE TOWEL: Place a clean linen kitchen towel flat on counter. Sift powdered sugar over the towel to cover it completely.
- PREPARE JELLY: Place ¾ to 1 cup jelly or jam of your choice into a bowl. Stir vigorously to break up jelly and make it easy to spread.
- PREPARE BATTER: Beat eggs well. Add sugar, vanilla and salt, and beat for at least 5 minutes. The sugar and egg mixture should be pale yellow and increased in volume, and leave a ribbon when the beater is raised.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together in a small bowl. Gradually fold the flour into the egg mixture, trying to keep as much volume as possible.
- Turn batter into prepared pan, spread gently to even thickness.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until light golden brown around the edges, and the center springs back when touched lightly with a finger.
- Remove from oven. For jelly roll, allow to cool for 1 to 2 minutes, while loosening the edges with a butter knife. When edges are loose, turn the cake out onto the sugared towel. Remove parchment immediately.
- Roll up along the long edge, rolling the towel up inside the cake roll. Let set for a few minutes, unroll while still warm, then right away spread inner surface with jam, reroll, and wrap roll in sugared towel to hold in place until cool.
- Place on serving plate or board with seam side down. Top with additional powdered sugar. Slice into 1” slices.