Red Lentil Curry
photo by mersaydees
- Ready In:
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- Combine the lentils and turmeric with 4 cups of water in a medium pot. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- While the lentils cook, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with the oil. Sauté the onion until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Cut half of the ginger into fine matchsticks for garnish and grate the remaining. Stir the grated ginger with the chili powder into the onions. Stir in the tomatoes and simmer until the lentils are cooked.
- Stir the lentils into the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with up to ½ teaspoon of salt and garnish with the ginger matchsticks and cilantro leaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!