Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Grandma's Beef Stew. This was passed down from Grandma's Mother to Grandma to My Mom to me.
Make and share this Grandma Bessie's Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 -3 lbs stew meat, cut into big bite size pieces
- 3 -4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into big bite size pieces
- 1 bag carrot, peeled and cut into big bite size pieces
- 1 bunch celery, cut into big bite size pieces
- 1 -2 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 large onion (I keep this whole because I can't digest onion. Love the flavor but can't eat the actual onion)
- 1 bottle ketchup
- salt and pepper
- If it is cool or cold weather, it is best to put this in the oven (or a crock pot) and let cook for a while.
- Take a large pot (I use a dutch oven) on med high heat and add whole bottle of ketchup.
- Fill empty bottle with water and rinse out bottle with it, Pour this water in pot with ketchup.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic and onion.
- When all of this has been cooking for a 1/2 hour or so, coat meat with flour and brown in large pan with a little oil.
- Cover with a lid and let this simmer for a few minutes.
- Meat will be soooooo tender.
- add meat mixture (oil, drippings and all) to the veggies.
- Mix well.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Let this cook until it is thick and the veggies are tender.
- The"secret" is the ketchup.
- The stew doesn't taste a thing like ketchup though.
A bottle of ketchup comes in so many sizes as we know. So I added 2 cups in the first time, we enjoyed it but I feel 1 cup would be sufficient. Will fix again using less ketchup. UPDATE: One week later...I wanted to inform you that, Grandma Bessie''s Beef Stew was a complete success this time. The one cup of ketchup was just the right amount.
I'm sorry yours turned out like it did. I have personally made this for over 30 years and NEVER once has it tasted like Ketchup. I don't know what you did wrong but I am truly sorry. This is really very good. Granted, it does make a lot. Growing up in a large family you learn to cook for an army.
This was very easy to make and very good! It does make a big pot but beef stew is easy to freeze. I will definitely make again and keep in my recipe file.