Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Grandma's Beef Stew. This was passed down from Grandma's Mother to Grandma to My Mom to me.
Make and share this Grandma Bessie's Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 -3 lbs stew meat, cut into big bite size pieces
- 3 -4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into big bite size pieces
- 1 bag carrot, peeled and cut into big bite size pieces
- 1 bunch celery, cut into big bite size pieces
- 1 -2 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 large onion (I keep this whole because I can't digest onion. Love the flavor but can't eat the actual onion)
- 1 bottle ketchup
- salt and pepper
- If it is cool or cold weather, it is best to put this in the oven (or a crock pot) and let cook for a while.
- Take a large pot (I use a dutch oven) on med high heat and add whole bottle of ketchup.
- Fill empty bottle with water and rinse out bottle with it, Pour this water in pot with ketchup.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic and onion.
- When all of this has been cooking for a 1/2 hour or so, coat meat with flour and brown in large pan with a little oil.
- Cover with a lid and let this simmer for a few minutes.
- Meat will be soooooo tender.
- add meat mixture (oil, drippings and all) to the veggies.
- Mix well.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Let this cook until it is thick and the veggies are tender.
- The"secret" is the ketchup.
- The stew doesn't taste a thing like ketchup though.
A bottle of ketchup comes in so many sizes as we know. So I added 2 cups in the first time, we enjoyed it but I feel 1 cup would be sufficient. Will fix again using less ketchup. UPDATE: One week later...I wanted to inform you that, Grandma Bessie''s Beef Stew was a complete success this time. The one cup of ketchup was just the right amount.
I'm sorry yours turned out like it did. I have personally made this for over 30 years and NEVER once has it tasted like Ketchup. I don't know what you did wrong but I am truly sorry. This is really very good. Granted, it does make a lot. Growing up in a large family you learn to cook for an army.
This was very easy to make and very good! It does make a big pot but beef stew is easy to freeze. I will definitely make again and keep in my recipe file.