Recipe by luvcook'n
This is real yummy relish. The recipe came from a zucchini cookbook I borrowed from the Library.
Top Review by Ann V.
I have the cook book that this recipe came from, and I've been making this relish for 20+ years. It's my favorite, and my daughter's favorite. I have modified it a little bit (after my first batch so many years ago) ~ I always add a heaping tablespoon of mustard seeds to the spices in this recipe. I also use a food grinder to prepare my veggies - which is a huge time saver.
- 10 cups minced zucchini
- 5 cups minced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 green peppers, diced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 cup pickling salt
- 6 cups sugar
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons celery seeds
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine zucchini, onions, celery and peppers.
- Add salt and toss to mix. Set aside for 12 hours or overnight.
- Drain veggies in large colander. Rinse thoroughly and drain again. Press a bowl down on top of veggies to force out as much liquid as possible.
- In large non-reactive pot or kettle, combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed, cornstarch, mustard and tumeric.
- Mix well. Add veggies and bring to rolling boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until thick.
- Pack into hot pint jars.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes (sea-level); 15 minutes (high elevations).