Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Just made this one for dinner tonight. I made it a few weeks ago and my husband requested a repeat. The funny part is that he hates to eat pork, and he doesn't even realize he is eating sweet potatoes. He is a very picky eater so when he requests something that tastes this good I can't wait to make it for him. This is another of my accidental recipes that worked out beautiful. I was planning on preparing beef stew for a luncheon I was attending the next day. To my surprise the steaks I had bought to make it with were missing. So in a last minute panic I decided to use pork as a substitute and prayed for the best. Wow, I got lucky it was one of those mistakes that just so happens to melt in your mouth... I just kept getting requests for my recipe of Good Ol' Souther Pork Stew. I hope you enjoy this as we have. The funny part is I make my beef stew the same way just with beef instead of pork. I like to use the crock pot for this recipe. Its great to just throw in the pot in the morning and then come home to it after a long day.
- 4 -6 boneless pork chops (can substitute with boneless pork tenderloin but be sure it has just a little fat on it for the flav)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) canof campbell's beef broth (double rich variety is best)
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 medium potatoes (scrubbed, but I leave the skin on for their nutritional value and cut into chunks)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 4 large carrots (washed and cut into chunks)
- yellow sweet onion (I just quarter mine, we like the large pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (cut into chunks)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves (crushed)
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 -4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- I like to use my crock pot for this recipe. I know it can easily be converted to a large pot on the stove. I am giving the prep and cook time for a crock pot. My family eats this with corn bread it was just made to go together. You can use crackers but trust me the corn bread is perfect with it.
- Place beef broth, boullion cubes, boneless pork chops, vegetables, vinegar, and spices into the crock pot. Topping it off with the water and then the chunks of butter. Put the lid on and walk away.
- Turn the crock pot to high and cook for approximately 5 hours, longer if your not going to be home that soon it won't hurt it.