Sweet & sassy baked beans, featuring lean ground turkey, are easy to throw together & slow cooked in the crockpot. Serve as a side dish or add crusty bread and a green salad for a filling main dish. With the kick of Rotel tomatoes balanced by tangy orange marmalade, your family is sure to gobble this up! Created for Category Craze-E #1, Fall 2008 contest but removed so I could post the other entries.
- 2 (31 ounce) cans pork & beans (I use Van Kamps brand)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, mild flavor (Rotel brand)
- 1 large leek, rough chop white & light green parts only
- 1⁄2 cup sugar-free orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Drain one can of pork & beans, do not drain the other. Pour both into the crockpot.
- Chop the bacon into 1 inch pieces (removing any large areas of fat) & fry on the stove til almost crisp, but not quite. Drain grease. Add bacon to crockpot.
- In same frying pan, crumble & brown the ground turkey. Drain & add to crockpot.
- Add the last 8 ingredients & stir well.
- Set crockpot to low setting & cook for 6-8 hours.