Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A well seasoned pot roast, perfect for watching dem Gators beat dem Dawgs. You need to use a 5 or 6 quart crock pot.
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup Spanish olives, chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix spices and herbs together in a small bowl.
- Season both sides of the roast (about 1 teaspoon per side).
- Layer half the vegetables in the bottom of a crock pot. Sprinkle half the seasoning over them.
- Place the roast on top, and cover with the remaining vegetables and and all but 1 tablespoon of seasoning.
- Pour the stock and wine over without washing off too much of the spices.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. After 6 hours, add the remaining seasoning and mix down into the stew being careful not to break up the vegetables.
- Just before serving, ladle some of the broth into a sauce pan and make a little gravy. Spoon over each serving.