Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like lemon, you'll love this! This cake is wonderfully light with lots of flavor.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon zest
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350º. Lightly grease and flour 9x13 baking pan.
- In medium bowl, mix well the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In large bowl with mixer on high speed, beat the sugar, butter, oil and lemon zest until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add 2 of the eggs and the egg yolk and beat on high for 30 seconds. Scrape bowl and add remaining 2 eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on high for 4 minutes until light and sugar has dissolved.
- To creamed mixture, add half of the dry ingredients and 1/2 cup of sour cream. Mix on medium speed for 30 seconds. Scrape bowl well. Add remaining dry ingredients and sour cream. Mix on low until smooth. Beat batter on high speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until center just starts to spring back when touched. Top of cake should be a light golden color.
- While cake bakes, make the glaze. Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in medium mixing bowl. Whisk or stir until very smooth and opaque.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately poke small holes into cake using a toothpick. Slowly pour half of the glaze over cake, beginning in the center of the cake, spreading slowly to cover entire surface. Let cake absorb glaze, then slowly pour remaining glaze over cake. Allow cake to rest 5 minutes and absorb glaze.
- Turn on oven broiler and broil cake until glaze just starts to bubble and cake top is golden brown.
- Cool cake for 2 hours before cutting. Dust with additional powdered sugar just before serving, if desired.
Made for Easter Egg Hunt Tag. This is a nice light cake with a wonderful lemon flavor. Very nice for a spring meal. Thanks for posting this Lvs2Cook!