Recipe by The Flying Chef
This dish came together by accident and it was absolutely delicious, I have been experimenting again lately combining new ingredients and flavours. Tuna is always yummy and it is such a healthy meal. The Kumara (sweet potato) fritters were oh so yummy, the recipe below makes between 16 and 20 fritters depending on how big you dollop the mixture into the pan. It is the right amount if your making this for 6 but I was only making this for 4 so I had fritters left over, instead of throwing them out, I saved them and they were still great the next day. As they were already cooked I just heated a pan first, then added them and just cooked for a few minutes to re-warm it made for a great lunch.
- 4 tuna steaks
- 80 ml olive oil
- 3 teaspoons gingerroot, grated
- 2 red chilies, seeded, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass, chopped finely
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 80 ml cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wasabi, I used powder (I say 1 as I did 11/2 and it was a bit too much for my hubby, I thought it was great so just adjust )
- 180 g sour cream
Kumara Ginger Fritters
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 medium sized kumara, coarsely grated (approx 400g)
- 1 tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- oil (for deep frying)
Chili coriander yogurt
- 180 g plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine oil, ginger, chilie and lemongrass, add tuna. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 Min's or until required.
- Drain tuna over a small bowl, reserve marinade.
- Either BBQ tuna or as it is winter where I am, I placed tuna on a wire rack in an oven proof dish and cooked under the grill about 4 inches from the heat, for about 3-4 minutes a side.
- Wasabi Drizzle.
- Combine wine, sugar and vinegar in a pan, heat until liquid just comes to the boil, turn down and simmer, uncovered, until reduced by half, cool slightly, stir in wasabi and sour cream.
- Kumara Ginger Fritters.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion, zucchini and ginger, cook until onion softens, stir in chili sauce.
- Combine onion mixture, kumara, coriander, egg, flour and seeds in a large bowl.
- Heat oil for frying, add mixture in 1 tablespoon lots to oil, cook until browned on both sides and cooked through, drain on absorbent paper.
- Chili Coriander Yogurt.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well.
- To Serve: Place tuna on a plate and drizzle with wasabi sauce, arrange some salad greens on the plate top with fritters and dollop yogurt on the top of each fritter. I served 3 fritters per person but serve as many as you like.