Recipe by cookiedog
These are moist, tender muffins adapted from Marion Cunningham's The Breakfast Book.
Top Review by FloridaNative
WONDERFUL GUT MUFFINS! Love the flavor of the ginger and lemon (lemon's one of my favorites anyway). Easy to make even with the grating. I made mine gluten-free using 1/2 cup each blanched almond and sorghum flours, and added 3/4 teaspoon xanthum gum. They needed to bake the whole 20 minutes, but were moist and delicious right out of the oven. I ended up with 9 muffins! Thanks for posting cookiedog ~ made for ZWT 6 ~ GERMANY/BENELUX region for the Queens of Quisine!
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 lemons, zest of, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 and butter muffin tins.
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl, add the egg, and beat until smooth. Add the buttermilk and mix until blended, being sure to scrape down the sides.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Stir in the grated ginger and lemon zest.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins so that each cup is three-quarters full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the muffins are set inside and turn golden.