Burst O' Lemon Muffins
photo by nenetteyu
- Ready In:
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lemon yogurt (8 ounces) or 1 cup vanilla yogurt (8 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, flaked
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat the yogurt, egg, butter, lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in the coconut. Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 400°F for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.
- In a saucepan, combine the lemon juice and sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in coconut. Using a toothpick, poke 6-8 holes each muffin.
- Spoon the coconut mixture over muffins.
- Serve warm or cool to room temperature.
- We have found we prefer them cooled as the lemon flavor isn't as overwhelming once they reach room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have tried these with different yogurts and added fruit. Outstanding. I I have tried cut up dried mango and mango yogurt, raspberries use most firm berries you can find so will not be mushy and raspberrie yogurt blackberries cut up and blackberrie yogurt. when I added fruit I omitted coconut always moist and delicious
Overall, it is a very light, moist muffin. I used vanilla yogurt and left out the coconut. I added a few strawberries. I dont think I used enough lemon zest (only one tablespoon). Being a lemon lover next time I will use lemon yogurt and add a little extra lemon juice. For the topping I didn't used coconut or sugar. Instead I used some honey and lemon juice. There are a lot of different things you can add to this recipe and still come out with something delicous
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the changes to the email notifications and removal of private messaging, I am no longer able to respond to questions about my recipes. Yet another feature change that has made the website less user friendly. It's sad to watch a fantastic site deteriorate over the years. Some of my recipes are on my blog.