Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes from the 2008 Taste of Home cookbook, Baking Classics. Preparation time does not include the time needed for the dough to rise twice.
FOR THE ROLLS
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar, divided (3/4 cup & 1 cup)
- 2⁄3 cup milk, warm (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened, divided (1/2 cup & 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (3 cups & 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
FOR THE BROWN SUGAR-NUT SYRUP
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pecan halves
FOR THE EGG WASH
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- FOR THE ROLLS ~ In a large mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, then add 3/4 cup sugar, milk, 1/2 cup butter, salt, egg, egg yolk & 3 cups flour, & beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough, then turn onto a floured surface & knead about 6 to 8 minutes or until smooth & elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top, then cover & let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- After that time, punch the dough down & turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll it into a 24-inch by 18-inch rectangle.
- Melt the remaining butter & brush it over the dough.
- Combine cinnamon & remaining 1 cup of sugar, then sprinkle that over the dough to within 1/2 inch of the edges.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans onto the dough in a similar fashion, then, starting with a short side, roll up the dough jelly-roll style. Pinch the seam to seal it, then cut the roll into 6 slices.
- Grease a 13"x9" baking dish.
- FOR THE SYRUP ~ In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter & water, bringing it to a boil, then boiling & stirring for 1 minute.
- Pour this syrup into the prepared baking dish, & arrange the pecan halves, flat side up, over the syrup.
- Place the rolls cut side down over the peacns, pressing down on each roll gently, before covering & letting rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- After that time, beat the egg white & the water & brush it over the rolls, before baking for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately invert onto a serving platter & allow to cool somewhat before devouring them completely!
Made for an after lunch snack today, made recipe as written. Very flavorful, soft rolls these were. Especially we enjoyed the brown sugar nut syrup on these. Great snack to hold the kids over until dinner, and these would be especially good as a breakfast treat in the morning. Cooking time right on the money.. Made for Make my Recipe..
In the 1970's I used to go to the Kresge lunch counter for breakfast and they served "Grilled Pecan Roll" which made me want it everyday! It was fabulous -- they cut a giant pecan roll in half horizontally, buttered each half and grilled it on the flat top grill until lightly browned and crispy. I can't wait to try this recipe - I'm drooling just thinking about it......you must try!