1 hr 15 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe comes from the 2008 Taste of Home cookbook, Baking Classics. Preparation time does not include the time needed for the dough to rise twice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE ROLLS
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided (3/4 cup & 1 cup)
- 2/3 cup milk, warm (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened, divided (1/2 cup & 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (3 cups & 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
FOR THE BROWN SUGAR-NUT SYRUP
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pecan halves
FOR THE EGG WASH
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1FOR THE ROLLS ~ In a large mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, then add 3/4 cup sugar, milk, 1/2 cup butter, salt, egg, egg yolk & 3 cups flour, & beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- 2Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough, then turn onto a floured surface & knead about 6 to 8 minutes or until smooth & elastic.
- 3Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top, then cover & let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 4After that time, punch the dough down & turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll it into a 24-inch by 18-inch rectangle.
- 5Melt the remaining butter & brush it over the dough.
- 6Combine cinnamon & remaining 1 cup of sugar, then sprinkle that over the dough to within 1/2 inch of the edges.
- 7Sprinkle the chopped pecans onto the dough in a similar fashion, then, starting with a short side, roll up the dough jelly-roll style. Pinch the seam to seal it, then cut the roll into 6 slices.
- 8Grease a 13"x9" baking dish.
- 9FOR THE SYRUP ~ In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter & water, bringing it to a boil, then boiling & stirring for 1 minute.
- 10Pour this syrup into the prepared baking dish, & arrange the pecan halves, flat side up, over the syrup.
- 11Place the rolls cut side down over the peacns, pressing down on each roll gently, before covering & letting rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 12After that time, beat the egg white & the water & brush it over the rolls, before baking for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 13Immediately invert onto a serving platter & allow to cool somewhat before devouring them completely!
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Giant Upside-Down Pecan Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1325.2
- Calories from Fat 534
- Total Fat 59.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 143.8 mg
- Sodium 442.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 186.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 95.6 g
- Protein 18.7 g