From the Thrive Kitchen launch, held at vegan chef Matthew Kenney's culinary school and restaurant M.A.K.E. in Santa Monica, California. Thrive Kitchen is a spin off of Vega's "Thrive Forward" website and part of their "Vegucation Series", which is a free educational resource for those wanting to lose weight, regulate their diet, and/or learn more about plant based living, exercise, sustainable food sources, and more. The recipe was adapted from Kitchen Cures by Peggy Kotsopoulos. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the filling
For the taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts (or raw cashew nuts)
- 1/2-1 chipotle pepper packed in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a jar of chipotle peppers)
- 1/4 cup water
For the taco shells
- 1 head bibb lettuce, leaves separated (OR corn tortilla-Sprouted grain or gluten-free organic recommended)
- 1Make the taco seasoning:.
- 2Stir all ingredients together well in a small bowl. Store in a tightly sealed jar.
- 3Make the taco filling:.
- 4Soak the walnuts in water for about an hour. Drain thoroughly.
- 5Process soaked walnuts to the texture of cooked ground beef/turkey.
- 6With the processor running, pour in the olive oil. Scrape into a serving bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning*.
- 7Make the sauce:.
- 8Blend all sauce ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. Scrape into a serving bowl. (Start with half a chipotle pepper, taste, and add more to increase spicy heat to your preference).
- 9To Serve:.
- 10Spoon some of the walnut mix into a lettuce leaf.
- 11Spoon some of the sauce over the walnuts and top with toppings of your choice.
- 12Note: You will not need all the taco seasoning for one recipe. Reserve extra seasoning for future use.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Get Your Groove on With Walnut Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 674.9
- Calories from Fat 596
- Total Fat 66.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 368.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: