Recipe by Freya
This is a recipe from my DH's past. I had never eaten anything like it until he made it for me and then I had to learn how to make it for myself. Make sure you have a skillet with a lid before making this. (Penzey's Spices has a Bratwurst seasoning that I like to use for this, but white pepper and garlic salt are a reasonable substitute)
Top Review by Secret Agent
Ok so I did make a change - I halved it and I used hot Italian sausage from Trader Joe's. It was awesome! This is going on my list of fast cooking yummy dinners. The applesauce is an absolute must in my opinion and anything with pork, applesauce and sauerkraut is ok with me! I am going to make this again but I want to try it with sliced baby new potatoes instead of the rice. Just yummy! UPDATE: I have made this 6 times in 4 weeks with different variations. Taters, sausages, sliced apples... I LOVE it!
- 1 lb sauerkraut
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 of an average onion)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish (optional)
- white pepper, to taste
- garlic salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the sauerkraut and reserve 2 Tbls of the juice.
- Layer the sauerkraut and reserved liquid, rice and onion in a 10 inch skillet.
- Crumble the pork on top in an even layer and pat down gently. Sprinkle the pork with Bratwurst Seasoning OR a combo of white pepper and garlic salt.
- If you are using the horseradish, mix it in the applesauce and spread on top of the pork.
- Cover the skillet and cook over low heat for 30 minutes. Resist peeking so that the rice can absorb most of the liquid.
- OK, now you can peek. Check the rice for doneness. If the rice is done and there is too much liquid for your liking, cook for a few minutes longer to boil off the excess. If the rice isn't quite done yet, add a splash of water and continue until done. Keep an eye on it though as the sauerkraut will burn if your not careful (golden brown is OK, and actually desireable, but black is a NO-NO).