1/1 Photo of Gebhardt's Chili Gravy
An indispensable sauce for enchiladas, tamales, and other Tex-Mex dishes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil or 4 tablespoons lard
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced (or put through a garlic press)
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1/2 cup good chili powder (preferably Gebhardts or your own homemade)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon masa harina
- 1Over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until the onion is softened, but not browned.
- 2Stir in the bacon drippings, chili powder, cumin, oregano; then add the beef stock, a little at a time, stirring well.
- 3Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes until mixture is slightly reduced and thickened. Mix the Masa Harina with a few tablespoons of water or the gravy, itself, and stir back into the gravy.
- 4Simmer for 10 minutes more. Taste the gravy and add salt only if you think it necessary.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gebhardt's Chili Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (1217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.5
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 1165.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 5.5 g