Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
For the garlic lover. This is great served with a side salad, french bread and for the true garlic lover, a head of baked garlic to spread on the bread. The combination of red and green peppers makes for a nice presentation.
- 1 lb lean boneless beef round steak, about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (I use the 2 tsp.)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1⁄4 dry red wine (Beef broth can be used; however, the wine gives a richer flavor.)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 cups hot cooked noodles
- Trim fat from the beef; cut with grain into 2-inch strips.
- Cut strips diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch slices.
- Heat the olive oil in nonstick skillet.
- Add onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in the meat and bell peppers, cook and stir about 4 minutes or until beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in wine; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir cornstarch into beef broth until disolved; add to beef mixture.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat until thickened.
- Serve over noodles.
Lovely dish and so quick to make. I didn't have a green pepper so subbed snow peas, but otherwise followed the recipe, using the recommended wine and plenty of fresh thyme from the garden. The gravy is delish. I especially liked the flexibility this recipe offers. It lends itself to having additional or different veggies or even chillies, if that's what your eaters likes. Thanks for posting.
Yummo!! Fixed this last night for dinner and served it with a green salad and what a wonderful dish!!!! Made as written and it is in my file for my rotation meals. Made for French Country Kitchen Herb & Spice of the Month - Thyme...January 2010. UPDATE: I have made this again adding a little more garlic...yummy!
Just average for me. My family like it. I will probably make it again but it's not a five.