Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This Thai dish of shrimp in garlic sauce is great served with steamed veggies and freshly cooked white or Jasmine rice. Originally from the R.S.V.P. Letters to the Editor section from a January 1984 issue of Bon Appetit. The recipe was requested from the Kamolmal restaurant in Tarzana, California.
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro, 1 inch of stems (use roots if possible too)
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup water
- 3 -3 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- sliced cucumber (optional)
- sliced radish, and (optional)
- tomatoes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely mince cilantro and garlic cloves in processor using on/off turns or mash in mortar with pestle until smooth paste forms.
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic mixture and pepper and stir until garlic is golden.
- Add shrimp and turn to coat with oil.
- Add water, fish sauce and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to platter and garnish with sliced vegetables, if desired.
- Serve immediately.