Garlic lovers-here you go! Love the combination of green onions with the garlic and parmesan.
Make and share this Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce over Pasta recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (or minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (grated will not work well, shredded works best!)
- salt and pepper
- 4 -5 scallions (green onions, diced with scissors)
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- When pasta is half way done, start with cream sauce in separate pot.
- Add butter, olive oil and garlic and saute on med-low heat until butter is melted, then add red pepper flakes and saute.
- Mix in flour until combined.
- Add milk and chicken broth, bring to a boil, lower heat and stir until thickened.
- Add parmesan and stir until melted.
- Serve over pasta, and top with green onions.
- Option: Add cooked, diced chicken.
Made this tonight over basil pasta. Really easy and tasty. Thanks
This was very easy and tasty! I do think more flavor could be added with some fresh herbs or italian seasoning. Overall it is a great base for adding meats or fish to. Update: I added some italian sausage and sauteed sweet peppers & onions to this the other nite. It was a nice light sauce to just coat all the goodies in the pasta.
A great dish. I did make a few adjustments in order to lower fat/calories. I used only 2 tab of butter, skim milk instead of whole, and low sodium, fat free chicken broth, plus lots of garlic (I grow my own--so fresh and juicy). I chopped 3 large cloves and saute them with the butter/oil and when I added the chicken broth/milk I added 3 more large garlic cloves minced (definitely more than a tablespoon). I only made half of the pasta (a pound would have been way too much for the 2 of us), but I didn't decrease the liquids or flour and I used slightly less than a cup of cheese. We could have made pigs of ourselves and eat the whole thing, but we resisted and looking forward to the leftovers. I didn't have green onions on hand, but I don't think it matters because the sauce is so good, I believe you can add different things to this recipe (like a little bacon or pancetta) to suit your taste, a great base to experiment with! So easy and quick...my kind of recipe!