Recipe by John J. O'Sullivan?
This is a thick delicious garlic-based chowder. I had a similar soup at a nearby "all things garlic" type restaurant. I made for St. Patrick's Day this year. It is *very* rich and creamy.
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1⁄2 head celery, diced
- 1 bunch fresh leek, cleaned and chopped
- 5 roasted garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- white pepper
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast the garlic bulbs and squeeze out the garlic into a small bowl. (If you don't know how to do this, go to Recipe #132617. It's very easy.).
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onions, then add celery and leeks.
- Add the squeezed-out garlic cloves to the pot, along with thyme, potatoes, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender (about 30 min.).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cream and parsley, cook till "combined." Remove from heat and stir.