photo by The 500 Chef
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 (3 ounce) rib eye steaks
- 2 ciabatta or 2 other sturdy sandwich buns (don't use hamburger buns, good sturdy bread is best)
- Heat one tablespoon of the butter and one tablespoon of the oil over medium and add both types of onion and a little salt and freshly ground black pepper; cook, stirring, until crispy and brown, about 15 minutes, then set aside.
- Mash together the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, the cheese and mustard and set aside.
- Rub the steaks with salt and pepper; heat the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium cast-iron skillet over high heat; when very hot, add both the steaks and cook without disturbing for 2 minutes; flip and brown the other side for 2 more minutes- this will give you medium doneness but still pink meat.
- Place the steaks onto the roll bottoms, top each with half the butter mixture and then smother with onions; top with the roll tops and eat with ice cold, alcoholic beverages on a Friday evening.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
wow!! luschious!!! The onions were outstanding, beautiful caralmelsized onions and the blue cheese and butter, delicious!! Even the cooking method was perfect. Just a wonderful supper, even if it was Sunday not friday and we had a little alcholic beverage too; a hearty red wine was perfect with it. Thanks for sharing a really enjoyable Sunday Supper.
Sweet bajeezus... these were awesome. We had a father's day feast with these. We used marinated tri-tip and used the blue cheese/butter lusciousness as a spread on our rolls. The onions added such an amazing compliment to the sandwich. Thanks for an easy, fantastic recipe!!! This is an absolute do-again for us!