Recipe by Chef Kate
According to Paula Wolfert, this is served in seafood restaurants along the harbor in this area outside of Athens.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
A delicious version of Shrimp Sahanaki (or Saganaki). I used 2 cloves of garlic and subbed ouzo for the wine (it's a great sub in this particular recipe). Served with lots of crusty bread to mop up sauce with.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce (fresh or canned)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs medium raw shrimp (about 40 to 50)
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, cook the onion in the olive oil until soft and golden.
- Add the garlic, tomato sauce, wine, half the parsley, salt and pepper to taste and the cayenne.
- Cook at a simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring frequently (the sauce should be rather thick).
- Meanwhile, peel and devein shrimp.
- Put shrimp, sauce and cheese in a shallow baking dish, cover and bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve hot.