Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Oreos lend flavor and texture to these moist, fudgey brownies. They seem soft, but they're still easy to cut and handle once they've cooled. If baking at high altitude, use the lower of the measurements given for butter, sugar, and baking powder. Cook time includes time for caramel to set.
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3⁄4-1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 20 Oreo cookies, crushed (I use the food processor to crush them)
- 40 Rolo chocolates, unwrapped & cut in half (chewy caramels covered in milk chocolate, packaged in gold foil - 8 1/2 oz)
- 3⁄4 cup roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease & flour a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- In a 1-qt, microwavable bowl, combine baking chocolate, 2/3 cup chocolate chips, and butter, and microwave on HIGH, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth (1 1/2-2 minutes).
- Allow to cool slightly (about 5 minutes).
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla at medium speed of electric mixer until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate and beat until well blended.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt, and beat at low speed until mixed.
- Stir in crushed cookies and remaining chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread.
- Bake until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and the center is set (when a toothpick inserted in the center of the pan comes out just slightly moist) (30-40 minutes); don't overbake.
- Immediately sprinkle rolos on top of hot brownies and let stand until the caramels soften (10 minutes).
- Pull tip of toothpick through softened candy to spread and swirl (won't completely cover tops of brownies).
- Sprinkle with cashews and cool until set (1 hour).
- Cut into serving sized pieces.