Salted Caramel-Cashew Bars
photo by diner524
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Brown Sugar Caramel
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch baking dish with foil. Whisk together flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add dough to prepared baking dish; use a piece of parchment to press dough into an even layer. Bake for 23 minutes, until crust is lightly golden. Cool on wire rack.
- Place butter and brown sugar in a heavy saucepan. Melt over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until boiling. Once mixture boils, reduce temperature to medium-low and let bubble for 3 more minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; carefully add salt and vanilla (mixture will bubble up). Quickly pour caramel over shortbread layer and spread with an offset spatula. Top with cashews, pressingly gently to adhere; sprinkle with sea salt. Chill in the refrigerator until completely set, about 1 hour.
- Carefully lift foil and place bars on a cutting board; use a sharp knife to cut into squares. Store leftover squares in an airtight container at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These cashew bars are delicious -- very rich, but oh sooo good. I'm not much of a baker, but these bars are very easy to make and they come out perfectly. My DH is loving them, but I've rationed him to just one or two a day. : ) A great holiday or any time treat. Will definitely make these again. Made for the Sweet December tag game.
OMG!!! These are so rich and delicious!! I made this exactly as written with the exception of using almonds, instead of cashews, as none of us are fans of cashews. The only problem I had was the cookie base was very crumbly (if that is a word, lol) and fell apart upon cutting into bars, but it is so good, who cares!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe that will now be part of my Christmas cookies each year!! Made for Sweet December event.
I could not resist this recipe! The idea of a salted caramel convinced me to try it. I had no problem with the dough, but as I was melting the sugar with butter I saw that this igredients did not come together, Perhaps I should have used finelly grinded brown sugar. I saw a lot of fat and I was tempted to add something to bind them. I had ground almonds ready but I waited a little bit while it was cooling liitle bit and ....oh... the ingredients came together before I added the almonds. Everything was OK for me now. I used a round springform of 10 inches and for this reason I cutted rombus instead squares. Soo good and beautiful! Thanks a lot for posting this great recipe!