Prep 48 hrs
Cook 25 mins
My mom makes this tasty summer fruit salad. I like the fact that it makes a lot. A great addition to any potluck or picnic. It does take a couple days to prepare - but I believe it is worth the wait!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups pineapple juice
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package acini di pepe pasta
- 33 ounces mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) carton Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1 cup coconut
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in saucepan.
- Gradually stir in pineapple juice and eggs.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring until thickened. (Pick white part out). Remove from heat; add lemon juice.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Combine water, oil, 1/2 tsp salt - boil and cook pasta 5-8 minutes in a rolling boil until pasta is done.
- Drain, rinse with cold water. Rinse again. Cool to room temperature. Using very large bowl, combine pasta and cooled, cooked sauce, lightly but thoroughly.
- Refrigerate overnight covered tightly.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Refrigerate until chilled in airtight container. Keeps about 1 week.
I made this for Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. I have fond memories of my mom making this for the holidays when I was a child, so I was excited to try it out. Very flavorful and easy. . .and inexpensive. I remember my mom's having less pasta and more cool whip, so I will try that next time. Very nice though. . .thank you! Made for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap.
I was very disappointed. This was a waste of time and fruit. No stars.
SOO GOOD!! Wish I could give it a 10 star!!