Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My family always called this fried squash, because mom cooked it in a cast iron skillet. And in the South if you cook it in a skillet its call fried. This is one of my favorite vegetables.
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- In a large skillet add all ingredients, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add more water if needed, cook until tender.
- Additional seasoning may be needed taste and adjust.
I made half of this using butter instead of bacon grease. It was a nice change from my usual way of cooking crookneck squash. I made it as written but will add garlic next time. This was very easy to make and quick to cook too. Thanks for sharing.