My Version of Fried Squash
I love using panko bread crumbs. I usually fry yellow squash with cornmeal but decided I would try these bread crumbs. They turned out good so I thought I would share my recipe with you. Hope you enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 3 -4 yellow squash, sliced
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces panko breadcrumbs
- canola oil (for frying)
- In a large skillet or electric skillet, heat about a 1/4 of a inch deep of oil.
- In a bowl,add egg, buttermilk and 2% milk, salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
- In another bowl add panko bread crumbs, set aside.
- Slice yellow squash to your desired thickness and place slices in the milk mixture and coat well.
- Dip one slice of squash into bread crumbs and place in heated oil. Make sure you lay the squash in a single layer to fry. Repeat process til you fill the skillet.
- Brown one side on medium heat for 3-4 minutes and turn to brown other side of squash for another 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Drain on paper towel and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What a great method! I love panko crumbs but it never occurred to me to use them for fried squash. I sprinkled them lightly with some seasoned salt hot out of the pan and served with some ranch dressing to dip them in. A lovely recipe that went very well with our fried catfish and hushpuppy dinner. Three thumbs up!Reply