Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Southern Living 1981. A person can only have so many magazines around the house before you get that over-run feeling. I'm cleaning out my stacks and posting the recipes that I've tried and wish to keep here.
- Combine the mustard, worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, papriks and red pepper in a small bowl.
- Spread this mixture on both sides of the tomato slices.
- Dredge the tomato slices in cornmeal.
- Heat 1/4" bacon drippings in a skillet.
- When hot, saute the tomato slices until lightly browned and crisp.
- Drain and serve hot.
Lovely recipe - might make the rub doubled next time to use as a dip too - will make again, but Fried Green 'Maters will always have my heart! PAC orphanage 2009
I liked these alot, but my boyfriend did not care of them..
LHM was right! DeeeeeVINE! I used large home grown tomatoes, fresh off the vine. The mustard and red pepper makes your tongue tingle and the touch of sugar and salt brings out all the fresh flavors! I was not sure what you meant by red peppers- crushed red pepper flakes?, fresh red bells? I used some crushed pepper flakes (and a dash of Sriracha hot sauce) LOVE the cornmeal crunch. I do not do pork so I used some turkey bacon that I fried up in a little veg oil til crispy. Then used those drippings. mmmm! I could not resist crumbling that crispy bacon and sprinkling it over the entire dish! This is a very easy yet amazingly tasty and impressive dish! Thank you so much for sharing!