Evelyn's Fried Red Tomatoes
photo by ncmysteryshopper
- Ready In:
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Pour boiling water over the tomatoes and leave for 2 minutes.
- Pour the water off, and peel the tomatoes: the skin should peel off really easily.
- Slice the tomatoes.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar to the tomatoes, and transfer them to a sauté pan.
- Simmer the tomatoes until they are soft.
- Add basil to taste.
- Drain off excess juice.
- Add 2 lightly beaten eggs, stirring for a few minutes.
- Cool the tomatoes and transfer to freezer containers, to use as needed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This sauce is best suited for use in another recipe (such as for spaghetti sauce) and not just put on pasta as-is. The fresh basil was nice in this -love basil and tomato together- recommend garden fresh tomatoes in this as they are THE most important item in this recipe. A touch of balsamic would be a great addition as well I don't understand the egg in this? It changed the pretty red sauce to a murky color. I think it may be better without.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
July 2008 update: VERY happy to be back on Zaar after about a two year absence due to having had no internet connection at home, and having been too unwell for a time so that getting re-connected wasn't even a priority! <br> <br>And really looking forward to getting back into the Zaar world and connecting again with the many wonderful people I knew before, and new people, of course!