Recipe by crazycookinmama
This was my first attempt at onions rings, and they were really good. Super quick to make too.
Top Review by Pets'R'us
These rings were excellent! They stayed crisp in the oven whilst I cooked the others. I added a bit more of both flours because the egg I sed was extremely large. Thanks for a good recipe.
- 1 large vidalia onions or 1 large sweet onion
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onion into 1/2 inch slices; separate into rings.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cayenne.
- Combine the egg and buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375°.
- Dip onion rings into batter.
- Fry a few at a time for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels (keep warm in a 300° oven).