Smothered Pork Chops With Fried Onion Rings
Very easy and delicious. This uses the "canned" fried onion rings. Found the recipe in a local prep school's 1995 cookbook (Pingry) which I bought in the library book sale. The recipe was submitted by Connie Fayen. Note: You can use plain yogurt instead of the sour cream. Found another variation which has all the same ingredients PLUS 1/2 tsp. ginger and 1/4 tsp. crushed rosemary.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 6 pork chops
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup water, about 1/2 a soup can
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 1 (6 ounce) can French's French fried onions
- garlic powder
- Season chops with salt, pepper and whatever else you like (I like garlic powder) and brown chops in margarine or butter; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the browned chops in single layer in a glass baking dish.
- Heat the mushroom soup, plus 1/2 a can of water and thyme and mix well.(In the same pan that the chops were browning in- thanks Ms_Bold!).
- When blended, mix in sour cream, parsley, and crushed fried onions (reserve some for sprinkling over the top).
- Pour this mixture over the chops and then sprinkle the remaining reserved onions on top.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
- Remove cover for the last 5 minutes of baking.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was DELICIOUS!!! I fixed this for dinner with recipe#370885#370885 and mashed potatoes. DH ate two large chops and loved them with the mashed potatoes and gravy. He said he definately wants this at least two times a month. I followed the directions as written and used fresh thyme. Definately going into my Favorites of 2010! Thank you!