Recipe by Sharon123
From Emeril Live, a wonderful yummy snack or make it lunch with a nice salad!
Top Review by rosslare
Nice treat! I used baby mozzarella balls. As soon as the coating turned golden, the balls started to puff up and burst the coating, so be ready to scoop them out of oil instantly. They did firm up in seconds after coming out of the oil, so no harm done but to the appearece. I did spice the dipping sauce up a bit more, too. Mozzarella balls are so bland otherwise, but they did work just great in this recipe.
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 907.18 g regular mozzarella cheese or 907.18 g smoked mozzarella cheese (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 59.14 ml milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 354.88 ml Italian style breadcrumbs
- 2.46 ml salt
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 6-inch skewer, or fondue forks,for dipping
Puttanesca Dipping Sauce
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml finely chopped onion
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 793.78 g canwhole Italian plum tomatoes, pureed in a blender,with juice
- 118.29 ml pitted and finely chopped kalamata olive
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 14.79 ml drained capers
- 14.79 ml minced anchovy fillet (4 to 5 fillets) (optional)
- 2.46 ml dried crushed red pepper flakes
Essence use 1/2 tsp
- 44.37 ml paprika
- 29.58 ml salt
- 29.58 ml garlic powder
- 14.79 ml black pepper
- 14.79 ml onion powder
- 9.85 ml cayenne pepper
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 14.79 ml dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat the mozzarella dry, making sure there is no water on the surface, and set aside.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish.
- Mix together the milk and eggs and place in a shallow bowl.
- Stir together the bread crumbs, Essence, and salt and place in a shallow dish.
- Heat vegetable oil about 1 1/2 inches deep, in a heavy saucepan or deep-fryer over medium-high heat to 325 to 330 degrees F.
- Dredge the mozzarella in the flour, shaking off any excess flour.
- Dip in the egg mixture and then the bread crumbs.
- Place mozzarella in hot oil and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Allow the mozzarella to stand for 3 to 5 minutes before serving, to allow the cheese to melt the entire way through.
- Serve warm on skewers or fondue forks with Puttanesca Dipping Sauce.
- To make the dipping sauce:.
- In a medium pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and saute until soft and lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients and simmer until the sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, about 20 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, cover and set aside.
- Serve sauce warm or at room temperature.
- Yield: about 3 cups To make the Essence:.
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Yield: 2/3 cup.