Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From menus4moms.com, this is a little different than the traditional recipe
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, unbaked
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 quart ice cream (preferably vanilla)
- oil (for deep frying)
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- In a large, ungreased baking dish, place the pie pastry flat on the bottom. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the pastry. Prick whole surface with fork and bake at 400*F for 10 - 12 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 5 - 10 minutes.
- In a large, resealable plastic bag, place the cooked pastry and coarsely crush. Transfer "crumbs" to a shallow bowl.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, form about 8 scoops of ice cream and roll each scoop in the pastry "crumbs". Cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fryer, heat oil to 375*F.
- Fry frozen ice cream balls for 8-10 seconds on until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Place immediately into chilled bowls and drizzle with honey. Serve.