The Original Chi-Chi's Mexican Fried Ice Cream
photo by lservies
- Ready In:
1 ice cream ball
- Form 4 oz. of French vanilla into a ball.
- Roll the ball of ice cream in the cinnamon sugar mixture until completely coated.
- Roll in corn flake crumbs till coated.
- Place in the freezer to harden.
- Place the hardened ice cream ball in a fry basket and deep fry for 2 seconds at 350 degrees fahrenheit.
FOR THE SHERBET GLASS(the early years):
- Put a dollop of whip cream in the bottom of the glass.
- Place the fried ice cream ball on top of the dollop.
- Drizzle a small amount of honey over the top of the ice cream ball.
- Place 8 whip cream rosettes around the ice cream ball and one on top.
- Top with a maraschino cherry.
FOR THE TORTILLA (the later years):
- Deep fry a tortilla flat until crispy.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Follow the instructions for the sherbet glass.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
You cracked the code! My wife and I have been talking about how much we miss Chi Chi's; the steak Chahitas for 2, Hacienda style, the salad in the tortilla shell with ranch dressing and, of course, ending with the famous fried ice cream with honey drizzled over it, whipped cream, and a cherry on top. We tried a version at a different restaurant and were very disappointed. So I saw this recipe and decided to try it. It was perfect!!! Sooo good and just like we remembered. Thank you for posting this.
Chi-Chi's Fried Ice Cream is my husband's favorite dessert ever, and since the chain shut down he has missed it tons. Any other that we tried just didn't compare. I surprised him with this and he was ecstatic! It is delicious and tastes just like Chi-Chi's. Thank you for this recipe (and the Pollo Magnifico too)!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was born,raised and reside in the mid west. I've been in the restaurant business for 30 years. For fun I just love to hang with my best friend who is my new soul mate. My all time favorite cook book is the internet. What a resource. My passion is perfect food. Love to wow them. If I have a pet peeve it would be when people say to tell the truth when starting a conversation. Are they implying that they don't always tell you the truth? That month off thing, Fish, hunt & look for that perfect recipe on the net.