Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Yummy side dish to serve with any type meat, especially pork. This dish is very popular along the Canadian border as well as with Norwegian immigrants to America and Canada. Try this with a shot of Amaretto added in... mmm...
- 8 apples, cored and cut in desired shape
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add apples that have been sliced or chopped. Peel if desired but prettier with the skin.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on medium until apples are as soft as you would like them.
- Really pretty when you use a mixture of red and green apples. Looks great at Christmas too.
Yummy! This recipe was very interesting and could be used for breakfast as well as a side dish for dinner. We made it as a topping for porridge and it was perfect. Thank you mama's kitchen - *Made for Zaar World Tour 4*
I only used 2 tbsp. butter, and they still were great. I served these with french toast but next time I would serve with pancakes or ice cream. Great way to use up apples.
From a beginner this recipe was great and easy. I cut the serving down to one and used a large Gala Apple and dropped the cardamom. It was delicious. Especially great over vanilla ice cream. Thanks mama!