Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I found this recipe on the back of a box...can't even remember which one, but it is wonderful. Have used a crock pot and top of stove method.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- -inch pieces green beans
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked barley
- 2⁄3 cup fresh whole kernel corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Mix all ingredients in 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 9 hours (or high heat setting 4 to 5 hours) or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Note: If you can't find the canned diced tomatoes with garlic, use 2 cans diced tomatoes and add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- You may also 3/4 cup frozen cut green beans and 2/3 cup frozen whole kernel corn.
- Rinse the frozen vegetables under cold running water to separate and partially thaw them before adding to the soup.
My family loves this recipe. Looking for a new Beef and Barley Soup I came across this one. I have the same recipe posted here. My mother passed this recipe down to me. It is full of flavor and all the vegetables give it a nice crunch. Give it a try, it real comfort food.
We really enjoyed this meal. It is hearty and good as left over. If you like stew type meals that are low in fat and have fiber and taste, you will like this recipie. I usually do some adapting, but I didn't this time. If someone wanted more fiber, some kidney beans would go well.