Prep 15 mins
Cook 33 mins
Recipe and photo from The Country Cook
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box vanilla, white or 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) boxstrawberry gelatin powder (Jell-O)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 pint fresh strawberries (or 1 cup crushed fresh strawberries)
FOR THE ICING
- 0.5 (4 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Give your strawberries a good rinse then gently dry them with a paper towel.
- Remove the stems and dice them up.
- Then stick them in a plastic Ziploc bag and start crushing them up using a rolling pin or other heavy object. This will probably take you a minute or two.
- In the bowl, combine cake mix with strawberry gelatin powder. Mix until combined.
- Then stir in your oil, eggs and water.
- Once that is combined, add in 1 cup of your smooshed strawberries.
- You will want to gently stir those in by hand.
- Then pour batter into baking dish.
- Bake for about 30-33 minutes.
- Oven times do vary so to make sure it is done, stick a toothpick in the center, if it comes out clean, it is good to go. Allow cake to cool completely before adding frosting.
- To make the frosting, mix together your softened butter and softened cream cheese.
- It's easiest if you have an electric mixer. Mix until smooth and creamy and lump-free.
- Then mix in powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk.
- Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Slather frosting onto cooled cake.
- Then slice and serve. If there are any leftovers, you'll want to cover it and put into the fridge.