Recipe by NavyWife'nMom
Passed down from friend to friend, I'm not sure about the origins of this recipe, but this is a hit at breakfast, or at any gathering.
Top Review by JanuaryBride
Made for PAC Spring 2008. . .Very tasty! I did throw in a handful of chopped mushrooms and some Tastefully Simple "bacon bacon" seasoning. I also cheated and used a pre-made pie crust. Next time I will saute my onions and add a 1/2 cup parmesean cheese. Real bacon crumbles would be lovely (and tasty) on top as a garnish!
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 -3 tablespoons water, ice cold
Directions See How It's Made
- Pastry:Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cut in shortening and butter until coarse crumbs form.
- sprinkle in water while mixing lightly.
- Form dough into ball.
- Chill while preparing filling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Filling:In large bowl, combine eggs, half and half, salt and pepper and onion.
- Add cheese and spinach and mix well.
- Roll out pastry place in 9-inch pie pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Pour filling into shell and bake for 45-50 minutes.