Prep 4 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was my own creation for lunch. Low carb and suited my craving for salty and spicy.
Make and share this Fresh Spinach Salad With Spicy Tuna recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (5 ounce) can light chunk tuna in water, drained
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper relish
- 2 teaspoons monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, washed & torn
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red onion, diced
- 1 slice crisp bacon, crumbled
- Drain tuna. Combine mayonnaise & pepper relish, stir into tuna. Place spinach & diced onion in the bowl and top with tuna, shredded cheese & crumbled bacon.
This was great although I couldn't find any hot pepper relish in this small town in middle America. I subbed chopped hot pickled vegetables. Also used real bacon crumbles which I should have microwaved to make crispier.
This is real different from the normal tuna salad...I wish I had added more of the hot pepper relish like LifeIsGood did...because I found it a bit on the dry side...the whole salad was a nice change...I love fresh spinach...the red onion added a different heat component...but the saltiness and the crunch of the bacon was spot on...I used fresh canned tuna...next time I will either add more of the relish or more mayo to add for the lack of moisture...made for Best of 2014 tag game...=)
I am so glad I tried this recipe!! I put this together for a to-go lunch. The flavors are excellent and very different from the ordinary tuna salad recipe. I didn't miss the bread at all. I have never tried hot pepper relish and was a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to find it in the grocery store. It was available and I'm so happy because it's flavor is outstanding! In fact, I ended up pouring a bit more of it over my salad as a dressing. Yummy! Made for the Spring Pick-A-Chef event in the Contest and Events forum.