Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is my version of Luby's pea salad. My daughters always ask for it at family bbq's. My british side of the family are now new fans of it, as well. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Fresh peas work great for this recipe. Just blanch them and then dry them well. Don't be concerned if the dressing seams skimpy at first. The salad will get moist as it sits.
- 10 ounces frozen baby peas, thawed in a collander and then dried on towel
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, cut in pea-size chunks
- 10 -12 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 small gherkins, cut in pea-size chunks
- 3 green onions, chopped (using white part and a little of the green)
- 6 fresh green beans, broken in pieces and microwaved (about 3 minutes)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellmans)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar (can substitute with 1 pkg Splenda)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Drain and dry baby peas very well.
- Add cheese, tomatoes, gherkins, onions and beans to pea mixture, set aside.
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, sugar and salt and pepper. Stir til smooth.
- Gently, fold dressing mixture into peas.
- Refrigerate, if desired, before serving. But, it isn't necessary if you are in a hurry.
A very nice pea salad! Alot of flavors! I halved the recipe. Thanks!
Tried this variation today to switch it up a bit with our regular Sunday cook-out. This dish has now replaced them all! Everything I've made in the past seems mediocre. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!