Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the Casserole Queens from their Casserole Queens Cookbook. The two run a casserole home delivery chef business in Texas. Frenchy toast casserole is a great way to have French toast for a brunch or breakfast without someone slaving away at the stove. This is a recipe you can tweek to your liking. If you like it less sweet decrease sugar and butter mixture. If you like a certain fruit on top use it in whole form, in a puree on top or even a layer of jam in between layers, or use no fruit at all. It is great with no added syrup because the paste layer or layers makes it sweet. It is a great presentation. Enjoy!
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks or 3 small sticks)
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 loaf extra-thick sliced white bread, such as Texas Toast, crusts removed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup your favorite berries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon and stir to make a paste.
- Spread the paste in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Lay the bread on top of the paste in two layers.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Pour the mixture over the bread in the dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until top has risen a little and is golden brown.
- Top with berries when serving if using berries or see options above.
- This casserole can be made the night before and kept chilled in the fridge overnight. All you’ll have to do the next morning is pop it in the oven.
- It is Vegetarian friendly!